Liver is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet - if it was a fruit it would be the first ever 'Super-dooper food'!
500g Free range Chicken Livers ie. Properly Free Range Chicken Liver – Pipers Farm
1 medium white onion, chopped
Knob of Butter or ghee or splash of olive oil
1 garlic clove
1-2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
Splash of brandy (optional)
1-2 heaped tsp thyme,
½ tsp bay (or pop a bay leaf in)
Good pinch of salt and pepper.
1. Empty the livers into a pan with 2-3 tbsps of water, the fat (oil, ghee or butter). Heat on a medium heat, stirring occasionally
2. Chop the onion and throw it into the pan with the rest of the ingredients – mushrooms, herbs, vinegar.
3. Once cooked through - I will tend to cook for 15-20 mins. Keep stirring and you can break up the livers using the wooden spoon to check they are cooked throughout.
4. Use a hand blender to blend the mix to the desired consistency. I like really smooth, so if you haven’t got enough liquid, then add some olive oil, apple cider vinegar/ water.
5. Decant into a few small jars (recycle your empty ones!) and pop on in the fridge and the other in the freezer. They only take about 12 hours to defrost in the fridge for when you are ready to use again.