These can be kept in the freezer for a handy sweet snack or dessert that defrosts really quickly.
NB – Frozen fruit and veg can sometimes be better than fresh, since they can be picked when they are fully ripe, meaning they contain the richness of nutrients and taste that a fully grown fruit will have. Nutrients tend to degrade from the point of picking and freezing can help to slow this process. This is especially the case when we are talking about produce which is from a far away country. I possible, look to source locally; strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and even blueberries or bilberries grow well here in the UK.
- 200g forest fruits, or similar mix of berries – we used defrosted frozen pack
- 150g almonds
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 30 g cocoa (can be more if you want them more chocolatey
- Put the dry ingredients in a Nutribullet or similar and whizz to breakdown into ground almond-type consistency.
- Add the berries and whizz again – this will keep some of the berries ‘chunkier’. Whizz the berries separately if you don’t want the chunks.
- You are looking for a slightly wet consistency that you will be able to roll into a ball so add more ground almonds/coconut ingredients if needed – it will firm a little in the fridge so I pop in the fridge for a few hours/overnight before rolling up into balls. A slightly less messy experience as it is best just to get a heaped tsp of the mix out and roll with the palms.
- If they need to be drier, then pop in a bowl of cocoa/desiccated coconut to coat.
Helping you connect to self, nature and others